Monday 4 May 2015

1915: 4th May - Private Edwards wrote

Another damp night and quite a lot of machine gun fire. “Wizz-bangs” were used by the Germans on a much wider front, and we had several burst behind us, and fragments “plopped” into the sand-bags. I had been on the 10 p.m. to midnight, and the 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. sentry duty and so was still on the fire step when the normal general “Stand-to” took place, in misty rain. Then it happened --- a crash! a jar! and I felt, no pain, but a numbness in my foot. Blood was oozing through a hole in the boot. Stretcher bearers arrived, took off the boot and examined and dressed the foot to stop the blood flow. I was carried out on a stretcher feeling quite unshaken and in, seemingly, little pain.


After a short stay in the dressing station, I was transferred to the Field Ambulance in “Plug Street” Village. After an anti-tetanic inoculation I was put in an ambulance, with three others, all rather badly wounded, and we ultimately arrived in the quaint old town of Bailleul. I do not know where the others went but I finished up on a bed in the large front room of a beautiful house, somewhere off the main road of the town. The hospitals were full up with the more seriously wounded and the many “gas” casualties. Later I was to see some of these poor souls. Gas is a very cruel form of warfare. The wounded may moan, but the gassed just gasp, and gasp, and many die in agony.

[Plug Street = Ploegsteert]

No comments:

Post a Comment